Avatar Shopping Community Knuffel Quests Donate Games My Account Help

Jump to:

Post subject: Art Question and Art Program Help
Post Posted: Jan 2nd, '18, 04:44    

Vlad Bloodhaven
Years of membership
Hugs: 1717
Mood: Awkward
Not sure if this is the right place. Discussion my happen due to one of the questions I have. If not I guess it can be closed or moved if need be.

Where would one post a comic on here? Or is that allowed? I was thinking the gallery, but at the same time I see how it could get frustrating. It would a Kingdom of Knuffel related comic. (I guess you could say fanfic even though I don't really like fanfiction.) I wouldn't even think about posting a comic on here otherwise if it wasn't related to the site. Don't want to spam.

And to the more serious topic that might lead to an actual discussion. My old laptop broke awhile back, a few years ago. It took me awhile to replace it because, well, I'm poor and have never been able to make that much due to only being able to get lower paying jobs. The problem is though, my old laptop had everything on it. Pieces I drew that are now lost because my laptop won't stay on for longer than 2 seconds and all my art programs. So what I'm looking for are cheap, because remember I can only afford so much, or free art programs. I had Paint Tool Sai on my old laptop plus GIMP for things like spriting. But I don't know if I can afford Sai right now. I read somewhere that its price went up or at least it wasn't the price I remembered it was. I definitely cannot afford Photoshop and its many subscriptions. I have tried Fire Alpaca in the past and I know you can animate things on it so that is something for me to look into. So does anyone have any suggestions of cheap/affordable or free programs?

(0) (0)
I know I probably have some rare or retired items on here, but here's my dream avatar: https://kofk.de/da/074F5B39.jpg

Post subject: Re: Art Question and Art Program Help
Post Posted: Jan 7th, '18, 04:31    

Vivacity
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 3845
Mood: Smiles all around!
Hmm I'm not sure where you could post a comic besides the gallery, and like you said, it could get frustrating since it would be hard going back and forth...maybe you could post it somewhere else and then link it to it in a thread here? I'd be excited to read a KofK comic though! :D

For art programs, I've used FireAlpaca a lot, and even though it isn't as powerful as Photoshop for instance, it's pretty easy to use and had all the basics I needed. My sister uses the free program Medibang Paint, and when I had to borrow her surface tablet to draw something when I visited home I found to be very easy to use too! Finally, I've tried out a bunch of other random free programs--Graphics Gale was nice for making pixel art, and I think I dabbled in MyPaint once (both are also free). Oh, and even though I downloaded Krita I never got around to using it, but it's also free and seems pretty powerful! They also seem to have added some animation features in the new version or something like that.

That sucks about your laptop though, especially losing all those pieces. :(

(0) (0)
Waltzing through the wimsies of the world...

Post Posted: Jan 9th, '18, 03:27    

Vlad Bloodhaven
Hm, probably. I have been planning on building a website specifically for my comics, but I am rusty on my web building skills right now. I need to relearn some things.

I've pretty much bookmarked the sites for MediBang, Graphics Gale, and Krita. MediBang kind of has a photoshop-esque set up based on the screenshots. Though does it also come in English because all the screenshots show it's in Japanese... That might be a problem. Graphics Gale looks like a cool thing to make animated sprites on. Is it Mac compatible though? And Krita's website just looks so pretty. :o

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Jan 9th, '18, 18:16    

Vivacity
Yep MediBang comes in English! When I used my sister's surface it was all in English, which is good since I don't know Japanese hehe. I don't know if Graphics Gale is Mac compatible though since I have a PC and never tried it on a Mac.

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Jan 10th, '18, 05:05    

Vlad Bloodhaven
Oh, that's good. Being able to understand the program is good. :D
I actually did some digging and found out that Graphicsgale is not Mac supported so that is out. I did find a good Mac supported alternative called Aseprite. It's not free though, but it's more affordable than Photoshop. :P
My old laptop was a PC. I miss it.
I'm probably going to download all this stuff later.

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Mar 31st, '18, 14:18    

PastelWitch
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 12986
Mood: Broken and defeated
Medibang and Krita are both good "photoshop-like" programs for free! I don't personally get along with them because I find photoshop so confusing >~< I personally use Paint Tool Sai but it's not free (or cheap) so you either have to buy a license or get it illegally -cough cough-

(0) (0)