Avatar Shopping Community Knuffel Quests Donate Games My Account Help

Jump to:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1523 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 149, 150, 151, 152, 153  Next
Which is better? & Do you like to read?
Books 30%  30%  [ 1025 ]
Books - Manga/Comics 25%  25%  [ 872 ]
Movies 4%  4%  [ 144 ]
TV Shows 4%  4%  [ 134 ]
Other 3%  3%  [ 99 ]
. 3%  3%  [ 112 ]
Yes, I like to read x3 26%  26%  [ 899 ]
No, reading is boring 5%  5%  [ 155 ]
Total votes : 3440
 Post subject: Re: What book are you reading at the moment?
Post Posted: May 27th, '19, 10:35    

Akili Li
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 69640
Mood: Crumbly Crumpet
"The Poppy War" by R. F. Kuang

I figured this thing would be grim. But it is considerably MORE grim than I'd hoped. Good enough that I'm going to finish it anyhow, but I won't be rereading it or looking up more by that author.

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Jun 1st, '19, 00:59    

Silent Stardust
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 11355
Mood: Perpetual State Of Exhaustion.
I’m not really reading it.. but I’m listening to it. Im listening to The Selection Series by Kiera Cass. I never read the last two but I have them all in my audible account to listen too.

(0) (0)

Fae Count:8 [11/11/11]
······

|My Market|My Knuffles|

I miss you mommy (11/13/60 - 4/12/19)
······
Wanted:
Flower Sensu White

Post Posted: Jun 9th, '19, 18:30    

Rubie
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 32530
I am starting "The Thousand Names" by Django Wexler (which I have shamefully owned for at least 4 years by now and haven't read yet)

(0) (0)
ImageImage
Rest in peace, my beloved dog Dexter 10/02/1999-12/06/2014
Viktor the poodle 03/29/17 - Annika the poodle 11/25/18
Rest in peace Grandma, you will be missed dearly.

Post Posted: Jun 15th, '19, 00:27    

Sanssouci
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 31264
The Victorian Fairy Tale Book

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Jun 17th, '19, 09:02    

Akili Li
Boy, I haven't been on to post but I've been reading a bunch. Went through a slew of paranormal romances by Nalini Singh, then read through the "Nice Dragon" series, by Rachel.... what's her last name? Bother. Rachel Morgan? No, Aaron! Rachel Aaron. (From the library, so they aren't here for me to check. First one is Nice Dragons Finish Last, then One Good Dragon Deserves Another (I think), maybe second one is No Good Dragon Goes Unpunished.... anyhow I forget all the titles, but I read through them and then passed them on and my father read through them and then they went to one of my Elders and I need to get them back to return them to the library here...)

There were others.
Oh!

A really cute children's book called "The Duchess Bakes a Cake", it had a wonderful meter and rhyme scheme to it. Although I'm still really aghast at the thought of putting squill into a cake. Squill. That's a rat poison! I'm hoping I'm thinking of the wrong thing....

Then there was another children's book, that one I'm having trouble remembering the name of, it was a Rosh Hashana book about the world's birthday, title was descriptive, so some mashup of that.

Mandeville's Travels, the EETS version. Fascinating the way they cloaked fiction as nonfiction at the time. At least I assume that was the convention; you won't convince me it's actual nonfiction.... maybe nonfiction with license to exaggerate? Yeah, that I'd buy.

Then I just got hold of "The Wise Men of Helm and their Merry Tales", by Solomon Simon. So that's the one I'm reading right now.

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Jun 17th, '19, 14:43    

wulfilalice
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 63149
Mood: quit
what do you think of the "nice dragons"?

(0) (0)
formerly known as
AliceON
quit
discord: wulfilalice#6236

Post Posted: Jun 21st, '19, 08:07    

Akili Li
Fun enough I passed it onto family members, not so fantastic that I want to track them down and own a copy.
So... better than a lot of what I read, anyhow.

I had viewpoint issues, but that's a personal hangup, mostly. I can get thrown out of books really easily by that. I found myself far more interested in some of the stories that were implied as happening in the background, off-stage as it were, rather than told. The universe is a good set up for a number of potentially interesting short stories.

What've you been reading lately, Alice?

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Jun 21st, '19, 14:29    

wulfilalice
thanks for the info, I've had it on my list for a while but none of the local libraries have it, and I'm not sure I want to buy it. maybe I will in the end

I'm 31% into 'Sea of Rust', a book where robots won the war with humans and there are no humans left now. it's really good so far, 1st person POV but working quite well for me. I even think, considering it's a robot's point of view, 1st person was the best choice here. there are references to current social problems and allusions to, if not religions, then cults. and it goes deeper with the choice of robots as actors than I expected. usually when you have humanoids instead of humans, the difference is not that big, and you see that the choice to write a vampire, for instance, was more or less a cosmetic choice. here it's not, and I'm glad it's not

I'm also 24% into a historical fantasy book by a russian author, reading it in a company of 6 other women. not too impressed so far but those who read it say it's getting better. we'll see

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Jun 24th, '19, 05:55    

MissNikki
Years of membership
Hugs: 22191
Mood: Tired. Always tired.
I am reading The Stand by Stephen King. :mccute: :qh:

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Jul 2nd, '19, 21:00    

Sanssouci
The Toll Gate

(0) (0)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1523 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 149, 150, 151, 152, 153  Next